Tuesday, April 08, 2008


Humane Society of Silicon Valley's 5th Annual Fur Ball

I've been wanting to go to the Fur Ball for the last few years and finally got my chance this year! Besides the $250 price tag for the event keeping me from attending before, I never had friends who wanted to go. Go figure.. the one who works at a non-profit is the one spending her weekends volunteering and donating money she has a hard enough time earning. :P While her engineering friends are buying houses and jet setting away to exotic destinations (okay.. mostly Tahoe and the like but still). Luckily this year I had a whole group of friends to go with! Even better.. Woz let our group take over his table at the Fur Ball.

So I went out got a dress for $43 (yeah, go Jessica McClintok outlet!), got Morgan a tux for $23 (which was almost as much as my dress), a necklace for $26 (I later realized I had something similar.. oops), dolled myself up, even curled my hair and put on full make-up! I felt like I was going to prom, so once I was all dressed up - off I went!


Morgan was a fantastic date, he only tried to pick fights with 2 other dogs (they were sniffing him the wrong way) and he sat so still for his caricature and watercolor. The caricature was done by Jodi Carr of ArtyParty. I think she did a great job in making me look glamorous, don't you?


It took a lot of treats to have him sit for 20 minutes straight, which might have given him the tummy ache the pet psychic said he had later (either the treats or the random stuff he hoovered off the floor). In the middle of the event, he ended up napping on my lap. Of course he started to feel better when I brought my dinner plate back - steak, chicken, ravioli, and salad! Yum! The steak was great. There were also lots of wineries there too. LaFondue even had a booth and were handing out cups of strawberries, marshmallows, and snickers bars covered in chocolate. Volunteers were also cruising the floor with trays of chocolate cake and macaroons - the lemon meringue macaroons were to die for! Outside of appetizers.. they were also walking around with plates of kibble. :D

The best part of the night were my dinner companions - pure entertainment! Many thanks to Loretta for baby sitting while I went to grab our plates of food. To John and Keith for their random acts of dance and making faces across the table (okay the latter was more John than Keith).


My favorite part is the look on Kitai's face as John is dancing...


It's fantastic!! Also at our table were Russell and Nick, Russell works at Dogster.com, which I have to thank, because without Dogster, I would have never met Stacie! Which is actually how I got introduced to the MND crew and at the Fur Ball at Steve Wozniak's table.
All in all it was a fantastic, comical evening. Can't go wrong with pairing a formal, black tie event and animals. :D Morgan and I were both exhausted at 10:00, so we left the event shortly thereafter and headed home. Both of us took a quick nap before ended the evening with a donut. This truly was prom, dance is over, head home, girls change into sweats, go out for junk food and the men stay in their tuxes because heck.. they spent a pretty penny on them and better get FULL USE out of them!


The End.


1 comment:

Tinygami said...

LOL you forgot to mention your dress made it onto the news website. :P

It was really fun. I'm so glad you were there to be a part of it.